At NICE, we believe that our work is critical because it prioritizes the leadership and voice of immigrant workers who are often excluded and/or marginalized from other spaces.
We believe our work is successful when, first and foremost, our membership has been able to spearhead change, build power or exercise their rights in ways that directly affect their everyday lives, their well-being, and their position in society.
The Assembly draws from NICE's nearly 5,000 members who engage with the organization through its various programs and activities. NICE's member Assembly is made up of member leaders who have participated in our leadership develop programs and who are chosen among their peers. The Assembly come together on a monthly basis to report back on committee and sub-committee work, discuss important issues, and make collective decisions.
Current Assembly committees include the workers' rights committee, women in construction committee, the job center committee, and the 20th-anniversary committee. A significant priority for the assembly and its committees is to engage NICE's members and supporters through community actions, public education, and policy campaigns.
- Manuel Castro, Executive Director
- Claudia Zamora Valencia, Interim Deputy Director
- Diana Moreno, Worker Rights Director
- Nilbia Coyote, Director of Training
- Sara Feldman, Worker Rights Manager
- Mildred Burgos, Workers Rights Organizer
- Alex Garcia, Worker Rights Associate
- Maritza Ortiz, Health and Safety Trainer
- Jose Payares, Worker Center Associate
- Juan Nolasco, Trainer
- Karen Vargas, Front Desk Associate
- Jasmin Palaguachi, Front Desk Associate
- Natalie Rodriguez, Administrative Associate
Board of Directors
- Alicia Portada, Co-Chair | Lower East Side People’s Federal Credit Union (LESPFCU)
- Charlene Obernauer, Co-Chair | New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health (NYCOSH)
- Prerana Reddy, Vice-Chair | A Blade of Grass
- Danny Rojas, Treasurer | All-Star Code
- Julissa Gutierrez | New York State Government
- Luis Gomez | Workers United
- Rosie Eugenio | New York Legal Services