SUMMARY OF POSITION
NICE seeks a highly motivated, fully bilingual (English/Spanish), Worker Rights Associate to work on a broad range of innovative and solution-targeted strategies to maintain and support our database, manage grant contracts, manage cases and engage members around worker rights issues, principally wage theft.
"Wage theft," or the earned wages that go unpaid or underpaid, is one of the most critical and pressing issues impacting low-wage immigrant workers today. Our members, day laborers and other job seekers who depend on the informal economy for employment, are at most risk. The Wage Theft Associate will have the opportunity to build-on NICE's organizing-based model for collecting unpaid and under paid wages and a public education and policy campaign.
Case Management (35%):
- Register intakes and orient members who have wage theft, discrimination, or other worker rights violation claims.
- Mediation between members and their employers; providing options for amicable negotiation and resolution via phone or work site visit.
- Coordinate wage theft/worker rights clinics in collaboration with non-profit legal service providers.
- Organize and mediate between lawyers, members, and employers by facilitating communication, gathering and sharing information, and documenting the progression of each case.
Database and Contracts Management(30%):
- Track, manage, and report deliverables for grant contracts.
- Maintain and support a database of wage theft cases, external referrals, and clinic training attendance.
Education and Direct Services (20%):
- Assist NICE Trainers in the development and presentation of Know Your Rights trainings centered around worker rights.
- When required, support in the registration of new members, walk-in assistance, and referrals.
- When required, provide interpretation/translation.
Community Organizing and Policy Advocacy (15%):
- Strategize and organize with members around NICE’s organizing-based model for collecting unpaid and under paid wages.
- Engage and Support Community Organizers in development of member leadership and worker stories that can influence member-led advocacy and organizing campaigns.
- Assist Program Staff in outreach and recruitment of new active members and member leaders.
- Support advocacy work around wage theft (i.e. coalition building, legislative advocacy, lobbying, etc.).
- Spanish fluency is a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Some experience working with immigrant communities.
- Flexible schedule, ability to work evenings, and some weekends.
- Highly organized, able to keep track and meet deadlines.
- Ability and flexibility to adapt to collaborative, fast paced working environment.
- Experience with database management/maintenance (Salesforce, Machete, etc.)
- Experience with case management clerical duties.
- Experience in organizing/social justice work.
- Experience with grant writing, reporting, and management.
Please submit the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line: Workers Rights Associate
- Cover letter
- Three (3) references (at least 2 professional)
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.