SUMMARY OF POSITION
New Immigrant Community Empowerment (NICE) is seeking an Immigration Services Associate who will be responsible for the execution of the organization’s immigration services strategy along with the Immigration Services Manager.
NICE is a community-based organization dedicated to advancing the rights of immigrant workers through innovative community organizing, grassroots advocacy, and service delivery. NICE builds the individual and collective power of some of the most vulnerable workers, such as day laborers, domestic workers, and other newly arrived immigrants, in Queens and across New York City. Current campaigns focus curtailing wage theft and safety violations through construction contractor licensing reform, seeking justice for job seekers through employment agency reform, and garnering municipal support for day laborer worker centers. The NICE Community Job Center in Jackson Heights serves as a safer alternative for day laborers and domestic workers to soliciting employment in the streets or at employment agencies. In addition to organizing jobs with workers, NICE provides workforce development trainings, health and safety certification, assistance to recover unpaid wages, and other critical services in the community.
JOB TYPE: Full-time
- Ability to work and collaborate with a predominantly Spanish-speaking community
- Strong written and oral skills in Spanish and English
- Willingness to travel with members to immigration court and other related appointments
- Willingness to do outreach in Queens and other boroughs
- Knowledge of computer operations (including but not limited to, Google Apps, Microsoft Office, etc.), as well as copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Administrative and organizational skills necessary to carry out job description responsibilities
- Strong social justice analysis, particularly around immigration, class/labor, gender, and race
- Experience working with immigrant communities or other vulnerable individuals
- Experience managing cases with vulnerable individuals, a plus
- Execute Immigrant Rights workshops and trainings
- Assist NICE Trainers in the development of Know Your Rights materials centered around immigration legal services
- Conduct city-wide outreach in-person and through social media
- Collaborate with Immigration Services Manager on weekly immigration clinic
- Conduct screening for immigration legal help
- Register intakes and orient members who have immigration legal needs
- Manage caseload of members in legal immigration process, including excellent record keeping
- Develop plan for each beneficiary: assembling required documents, notifying family and close supporters, preparing emergency situations, and coordinating with the appropriate professionals
- Liaise with attorneys, paralegals, and other associated staff
- Support Immigration Services Manager and other staff in the development of current member-led work
- Assist Program Staff in outreach and recruitment of new active members and member leaders
- In collaboration with administrative staff, coordinate logistics and ensure all space, materials and other goods needed for trainings are provided and set-up/taken-down in a timely manner
- Support organizational activities, when required
- Maintain excellent attendance and training records
- Answer phone calls during office hours and check voicemail when in office
- Provide interpretation/translation, when required
Please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Immigration Services Associate
- Cover letter
- Professional writing sample
- Three (3) references (at least 2 professional)
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.
Date posted: February 5, 2018.