The Community Organizer at NICE will be responsible to assist in implementing strategic campaigns with member leaders, partners, and allies, to combat unfair labor practices and other issues that impact the lives of immigrant workers. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and great team player who works effectively independently and as part of a team, with a long-term commitment to social and economic justice and to the empowerment of low-income immigrant workers.
- Assist in coordinating worker organizing by planning and implementing campaign strategies and activities.
- Identify, recruit, and develop effective worker leaders by conducting outreach at informal gatherings spaces, such as day labor corners, transportation hubs, employment agencies, and through leadership and organizing training.
- Effectively communicate and troubleshoot issues with members through campaign meetings, one-on-one’s, phone calls, communication materials, etc.
- Work closely with team to increase membership engagement.
- Maintain and update membership, outreach, and campaign databases.
- Work closely with staff to identify cases of unjust labor practices and engage in follow-up conversations with workers.
- Work with government agencies to establish best practices, policy changes, enforcement, and outreach processes.
- Develop and strengthen relationships and alliances with community, labor, faith, and other key partners and stakeholders.
- Assist in organizational activities, fundraising, and overall communications strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing deadlines and to organize, plan, and execute multiple projects.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communications and writing skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including early mornings, evenings and some weekends.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- A passion for social and economic justice and a strong commitment to organizing and the empowerment of low-income immigrant workers.
- Experience working in coalitions and/or community/labor organizing.
- Familiarity with popular education and other leadership development practices.
- Ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Ability to identify, recruit, and develop a base of worker leaders.
- Ability to effectively coordinate a campaign.
- Understanding of community/labor/immigrant organizing.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Spanish and English
Please submit the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line: Community Organizer
- Cover letter
- Professional writing sample
- Three (3) references (at least 2 professional)