SUMMARY OF POSITION
NICE seeks Fall 2017 interns to play an integral part of our membership development and grassroots organizing campaigns. The interns will work alongside staff and a dedicated group of members. This is a great opportunity for anyone who cares about the empowerment of new immigrants and wants to learn new skills and strategies for engagement and consciousness-raising around workers rights and immigrants' rights issues. As an intern, you will gain expertise in labor laws as you help workers fight back against wage theft, consumer rights as you work with individuals who are victims of immigration and employment agency fraud, and immigration rights as you work to support our campaigns for comprehensive immigration reform and against deportations.
The responsibilities of the intern(s) may include but are not limited to:
- Helping to carry street outreach, introducing new immigrant workers to the organization and our work to advance immigrant worker rights
- Assisting in creating materials for outreach, such as flyers or palm cards
- Helping conduct one on ones and strategic phone outreach
- Helping conduct Know Your Rights trainings and workshops using popular education methodology
- Assisting with data entry and outcome management
- Must have a strong command of the Spanish language
- Must commit to working at least 10 hours per week, early mornings, late afternoons and evenings are preferable.
- Must be detail-oriented
- Previous outreach and/or organizing a plus but not required
- Must have cultural and linguistic competency to work with low-wage immigrant workers
This internship is unpaid. School credit may be arranged at the college and masters' level.
Please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Worker Rights Intern
- Cover letter
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position(s) are filled.