JOB POST: ESOL PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR (PART-TIME)
New Immigrant Community Empowerment (NICE) is seeking an ESOL Program Coordinator who will lead NICE’s efforts to provide immigrant workers with English classes for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
NICE is a community-based organization dedicated to advancing the rights of immigrant workers through innovative community organizing, grassroots advocacy, and service delivery. NICE builds the individual and collective power of some of the most vulnerable workers, such as day laborers, domestic workers, and other newly arrived immigrants, in Queens and across New York City. Current campaigns focus on curtailing wage theft and safety violations through construction contractor licensing reform, seeking justice for job seekers through employment agency reform, and garnering municipal support for day laborer worker centers. The NICE Community Job Center in Jackson Heights serves as a safer alternative for day laborers and domestic workers to soliciting employment in the streets or at employment agencies. In addition to organizing jobs with workers, NICE provides workforce development trainings, health and safety certification, assistance to recover unpaid wages, and other critical services in the community.
- Conduct student intake and assessments
- Teach ESOL classes based on NICE curriculum
- Maintain ESL class records and reports on program activities
- TESOL certificate or other ESOL teacher training equivalent
- Experience working with multi-level ESOL classes, a plus
- Flexibility in schedule; classes may take place in the early morning, evenings and/or weekends
- Ability to develop appropriate, trusting relationships with a predominantly Spanish-speaking community of immigrant workers
- Strong social justice analysis, particularly around immigration, class/labor, gender, and race
- Experience working with immigrant communities or other vulnerable individuals
- Experience managing cases with vulnerable individuals, a plus
- Knowledge of computer operations (including but not limited to, Google Apps, Microsoft Office, etc.), as well as copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Administrative and organizational skills necessary to carry out job description responsibilities
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: ESOL Instructor
- Cover letter
- Professional writing sample
- Three (3) references (at least 2 professional)
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.